Toronto Chinese Orchestra Conducting Competition 2015
About the Competition
Toronto Chinese Orchestra is a non-profit organization established in 1993 by a group of Chinese traditional music enthusiasts. We are the largest Chinese orchestra in Ontario and the longest running in Canada. Our members include professional and amateur musicians trained in Asia as well as Canada. Our purpose is to promote and develop an appreciation of Chinese orchestral music and culture amongst Canadians. For over 22 years, TCO has continued to be a strong presence in this multicultural community. In addition to performing in many concerts, TCO holds educational workshops in schools and participates in community fundraising events, cultural events, festivals, and celebrations across Ontario.
The purpose of this competition is to promote cultural exchange as well as to encourage and develop capable young artists in the field of Chinese orchestral music. Candidates will have the unique opportunity to learn about and conduct a traditional Chinese orchestra.
Jury Panel 1: Ms. Elaine Choi (TCO), Ms. Di Zhang (TCO), Dr. Leah McGray (USA)
Jury Panel 2: Dr. Chih-Sheng Chen (Taiwan), Mr. Hang Kei Kwok (Hong Kong), Dr. Mark Vuorinen (Canada), Ms. Elaine Choi (TCO)
- The competition is open to Canadian residents.
- Applicant will submit:
- curriculum vitae;
- completed application form; and
- footage materials (with date) containing a performance and/or rehearsals of the applicant conducting either symphony orchestra, chamber orchestra, ensemble, or 2 or more pianos. Youtube links or mp4 are preferable.
- Falsification of any of the above will render the entry invalid.
- Please note that none of the above will be returned.
- Closing Date for submissions: November 8, 2015
- Send submissions to: Toronto Chinese Orchestra Conducting Competition, ℅ Richard Ng, 26 Wilfred Court, Richmond Hill, ON, L4C 8R3
- Application Fee: $35 CDN, cheques made payable to Toronto Chinese Orchestra.
After the candidate completes the application process, Panel 1 will select up to 4 finalists to prepare 2 assigned pieces of repertoire to rehearse with TCO. Finalists will undergo 2 video-recorded rehearsals with TCO on December 4 and 11, 2015. These videos will be reviewed and judged by Panel 2. A winner will be announced in January 2016.
The winner will have regular Friday evening rehearsals with the orchestra starting in February 2016 and have the performance opportunity to conduct in the Toronto Chinese Orchestra’s annual concert, to be held at the George Weston Recital Hall at the Toronto Centre for the Performing Arts on July 3, 2016. There will be a certificate and an honorarium of $500 CDN to be awarded at the annual concert.