The Toronto Youth Chinese Orchestra (TYCO) 多倫多青少年中樂團 is organized by Toronto Chinese Orchestra as a training ground for youths 16 years and under.
Why audition for the TYCO?
As a member of the TYCO, you will have the opportunity to:
- Be coached by TCO musicians
- Perform great orchestral repertoire
- Meet with other young musicians
- Learn to work with conductors and educators
- Attend free workshop events
- Incentives to improve techniques and practice
- Perform side-by-side with the TCO onstage at various events
- Receives discounted tickets to performance and events where possible
Who can audition?
- Anyone 16 years of age or younger
- There is no minimum age, grade, or music level required to audition
- Instruments: Erhu, Zhonghu, Gaohu, Yangqin, Guzheng, Dizi, Pipa, Liuqin, Zhongruan, Daruan, Percussion and Cello.
How do I apply to audition for the TYCO?
- Register early to secure a audition spot.
How much does TYCO cost?
- AUDITION FEE: $15.00 (non-refundable)
- REGISTRATION FEE: $320.00 per year (includes all costs associated with rehearsals, workshops, chamber music, and instructor fees) All touring is subject to a separate fee.
(Registration fee includes one TCO shirt when made available)
- Enclose one cheque for $320.00 with your application.
Registration Fee cheque(s) will be returned via mail to unsuccessful applicants.
What does a TYCO audition entail?
Auditions are approximately 10 minutes long. After your application is processed, you will be sent an audition packet. This packet will outline your specific audition requirements for your instrument and contain the excerpts you will be expected to prepare. Each instrument may have slightly different audition requirements. In general, you can expect to be asked to play a 2 minute solo of your choice as well as perform the repertoire excerpts in your audition packet. You may be asked to play scales or sight read. You will be auditioning in front of a panel 2-3 people (TYCO coach(es), other TCO musician(s), and/or TYCO conductor).
Can I request a specific audition time during the weekend?
Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate audition time requests.
What is the time commitment for TYCO?
TYCO rehearsals generally take place between October-June from 6:45 to 8:00 pm at CICS (Centre for Immigrant and Community Services). In addition to weekly rehearsals, there are term concerts, our annual Side-by-Side concert with the TCO, and various workshops and extra rehearsals with guest conductors. A schedule of the full year will be provided at the first rehearsal and after that point TYCO members are required to check weekly emails throughout the season and note all schedule updates.
All TYCO members are expected to continue their school music programme as TYCO is meant to supplement school music programmes, not replace it. Attendance at all TYCO activities is mandatory.
Catch a Ride Program
If you could not arrange transportation for your child, we are offering Catch a Ride Program to those of you who are eligible. To be eligible, you have to meet the following criteria:
- Parents unavailable due to work related affairs
- Does not own a vehicle
- Willing to sign responsibility waiver form
- Considered exceptional instrumentalist in the audition process
Fees are $85.00 per term in addition to the Audition and Registration fees. If your child is enrolled in the program, there will be two terms in the 2016-2017 season.